Osteochondritis dissecans (OCD) of the talus is a subchondral bone pathology that presents as an osteochondral lesion of the talar dome with consequent articular cartilage abnormalities.
Non Operative Treatment
- no evidence that non wt bearing cast offers improved results over wt bearing casts
- no evidence that patients need to be immobilized if they are kept non wt bearing
- Osteochondral lesions of the talus can be debrided, and loose bodies and small osteochondral fragments can be removed
- Use of non-invasive or invasive distraction improves access to joint and allows adequate debridement and curettage of bed
- Anterolateral lesions can be addressed from the anterolateral portal