Are you thinking of buying a pair of high heels but wondered if it’s a good idea? They tend to squeeze the toes together into a pointed, curved position. If you desire to learn more about Claw toes, then read on.
What Causes Claw Toes?
Trauma or Injury
A traumatic injury to the foot, such as a broken bone or stubbed toe, can result in a toe deformity that may become clawlike.
Tight shoes, especially narrow high-heeled shoes, can force a person’s toes into a curled-up shape similar to a claw. High heels also cause weight to shift forward, putting pressure on your toes and leading to constant bending at the joints.
Illness or Disease
Certain diseases and illnesses may increase your chances of developing claw toes. Folks with diabetes have poor foot circulation, making it harder to notice when their shoes are rubbing against their skin, causing calluses and corns over time.
Symptoms of a Claw Toe:
A claw toe can affect any toe on your foot. The typical symptoms include:
- Painful corns on the top of your toe or between two toes
- Calluses under the ball of your foot
- Sores on your toes that are slow to heal
- Your affected toe bending downward, upward from the middle joint
Treatment Options of Claw Toe:
- Taping – This technique helps hold the toe straight and may reduce pain.
- Padding – Pads can alleviate pressure, rubbing, and pain.
- Shoe modification – Your doctor may recommend wearing shoes with soft, roomy toe boxes to relieve pressure on your toes.
- Physical therapy – A physical therapist can advise gentle exercises to stretch and strengthen your toe muscles.
The best way to deal with claw toes is to keep your feet healthy while you still want to wear these shoes and properly stretch your toes before putting them away. Contact Dr. Chetan Oswal at Orthowin Clinic, Pune if you want its treatment.
Dr. Chetan Oswal is an Orthopedic surgeon with exclusive expertise in the foot and ankle area. He has had his advanced surgical fellowship from the United kingdom. Complicated foot and ankle surgery are his forte. Dr. Chetan Oswal with his specialized training in foot and ankle reconstruction offers minimally invasive keyhole surgery for foot and ankle problems which enables patients to recover quickly & resume work/duties/sports at the earliest. Dr. Chetan Oswal assures them to treat his patients with all his medical knowledge and skills.