As the population ages, there has been an increase in flatfoot deformity due to debilitating diseases such as diabetes. Here are some tips for conservative treatment of adult acquired flatfoot to help keep you out of pain and standing tall.
What is adult-acquired flatfoot?
Adult-acquired flatfoot or posterior tibial tendon dysfunction (PTTD) is when the posterior tibial tendon, which helps support the arch of your foot, becomes inflamed or torn. It can result in a fallen arch and cause pain, swelling, and instability in the affected foot and ankle.
Why does it happen?
Flatfoot usually occurs in adults between 40 to 60 years old. It can be caused by repetitive stress to the tendon, injury to the tendon, or other conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, obesity, and aging that might weaken the tendon. It also tends to run in families.
Conservative Treatment Of Adult-Acquired Flatfoot:-
- Wear supportive shoes that provide ample cushioning.
- Avoid high heels or other shoes that do not provide enough support to the heel or arch.
- Wear custom-made orthotics to help relieve stress on the arch. Over-the-counter insoles likely will not provide enough support.
- Try nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to reduce pain and swelling.
- Use a night splint to stretch the calf muscles and Achilles tendon before bedtime.
- Perform certain stretches throughout the day, including towel stretches and standing calf raises, to help relieve strain on the foot and ankle.
- Exercise regularly to lose weight if you are overweight or obese. Being overweight puts more strain on your foot’s arch and is one of the main causes of adult-acquired flatfoot.
- Incorporate balance exercises into your exercise routine to prevent falling due to loss of balance, common in those with an adult-acquired flat.
The conservative treatment of adult-acquired flatfoot is a practical way to achieve significant long-term improvement in the quality of life for nearly anyone who suffers. Contact Dr. Chetan Oswal at Orthowin Clinic Pune if you want more detail.
Dr. Chetan Oswal is an Orthopedic surgeon with exclusive expertise in the foot and ankle area. He has had his advanced surgical fellowship from the United kingdom. Complicated foot and ankle surgery are his forte. Dr. Chetan Oswal with his specialized training in foot and ankle reconstruction offers minimally invasive keyhole surgery for foot and ankle problems which enables patients to recover quickly & resume work/duties/sports at the earliest. Dr. Chetan Oswal assures them to treat his patients with all his medical knowledge and skills.