A bunion, also known as the hallux valgus, is a bony lump. This lump develops on the side of the large toe joint. People can feel a bony bump on the outside edge of the feet, which is the joint of the toe. Individuals suffering from a bunion can face severe foot pain, automatically decreasing their foot movement.
Symptoms of Bunion:-
The probable signs that you are suffering from Bunions are as follows.
- Individuals can notice a bulge on the joint of the feet and toe.
- You can notice sudden swelling and redness around the big joint of the feet & toe.
- You will suffer from chronic foot pain. The pain will occur suddenly and goes off.
- Individuals will face problems with limited movement of the toe.
A brief on pediatric bunions:-
Like adults, kids can also suffer from bunions. As per experts’ the occurrence of bunions is normally a family trait. Kids can suffer from this problem if any of their family members have already suffered from this problem.
Types of bunion surgery for kids:-
Experts suggest varied types of bunion surgery. The standard surgery types are mentioned here.
- Bunionectomy is also known as exostectomy. This surgery helps to remove the bunion completely.
- Doctors suggest cutting and readjusting the affected bones. This surgery is known as osteotomy.
- Many doctors recommend repairing soft tissues like tendons and ligaments.
Is bunion surgery safe?
Parents are curious to know whether the bunion surgery is safe for the kids or not. Research says that this surgery is safe; however, recovery depends on post-surgery care. Doctors feel the necessity of bunion surgery once the problem is progressive.
Parents need to take the necessary care of their kids after the surgery. Kids need to wear special boots that will keep their toes properly. Kids can start their normal activities after two months. Parents can consult with Dr. Chetan Oswal, Pune for relevant suggestions.
About Dr. Chetan Oswal: –
Dr. Chetan Oswal is a United Kingdom-trained Foot and Ankle specialist surgeon practising in Pune, India. He has been practising Orthopaedics for the last 12 years and is now working as a dedicated Foot and Ankle Orthopaedic Surgeon. He has been successfully managing patients including elite athletes for practically all problems related to foot and ankle.