A bunion is a kind of bony bump that happens at the base of the big toe on your joint. When few bones at the front of the foot go out of their places, a bunion occurs. This makes the tip of the big toe pull towards the small toes. In addition, it forces your join at the base of the big toe to further stick out and the skin on top of the bunion may be sore or red.
What are the Causes of Bunions?
They mainly occur due to genetic. Besides, they can appear if you have inherited a foot structure that is faulty. Few conditions that result in bunions are flexible ligaments, abnormal bone structure, and flat feet. Some experts also believe that if your shoes do not fit properly, it can lead to bunions.
Bunions can become more severe because of the following reasons –
- Symptoms of arthritis in the feet.
- Extremely small or tight shoes that make your toes put pressure and crowd together on the big toe.
- Standing for a long time.
- Shoes that have pointy toes or high heels that force the toes to be together.
What are the Symptoms of Bunions?
Symptoms of bunions are as follows –
- Inflamed or red skin on the side of the big toe.
- Calluses on the second toe.
- Difficulty to move the big toe.
- Big toe turning towards other toes.
- Big toe with thick skin below.
- Persistent foot pain.
How can you Diagnose Bunions?
If you experience pain while walking in your flat shoes that can otherwise make you feel comfortable, contact doctor. You can get in touch with a podiatrist. Your doctor will take an X-ray to provide treatment for bunions.
In case you want to treat your bunions, reach out to Orthowin Foot and Ankle Clinic, Pune and get treatment from Dr. Chetan Oswal will be able to offer proper guidance in this aspect.